Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010...how do you say it?

Okay so I want to be in-the-know of something:

Are we suppose to say "two thousand  ten" or "twenty ten"?

I hear people saying "twenty ten". So I have deliberately tried using that term in my everyday speech to random people (yes, this could be weird but stay with me on this). Anyway, it does not sound normal from my mouth but, it is the correct way to say it and it is faster. Maybe if I keep saying "twenty ten" it will sound more and more normal. For example, like the word Wii (wee) is no longer used by someone going down a slide or being lifted up in a hot air balloon. If someone told me 5 years ago they got a "Wii". I would have directed them to the bathroom.

Silly thoughts on this rainy Saturday January 16, 2010...now think about how you just said the year. Next time you hear the "2010" go ahead and mark it down in your mind and ponder.

I am not the only one thinking about this:
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-01/news/17466340_1_youtube-videos-grammar-twenty-ten

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saying-Twenty-Ten-Instead-of-Two-Thousand-Ten-Because-It-Sounds-Cooler/267926794744

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120470656


4 comments:

  1. I know I feel weird, too. I avoid saying it. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny, Sarah. I'm starting twenty ten boot camp this week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I say "two thousand ten" but then again, I haven't said it much yet! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twenty Ten! I think that will make me look cool. And that's the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete